Custom-made shoes are built ‘from the sole up’ using 100% raw materials to accommodate severe foot abnormalities. Although the reasons for needing custom-made shoes are diverse, there are three main categories based on medical necessity:
- Congenital deformity – a structural deformity present at birth
- (e.g. someone born with a deformed or missing limb)
- Traumatic injury to one or both of your lower limbs
- (e.g. amputation from a motor vehicle accident)
- Severe disease process that affects one or both feet
- (e.g. diabetic ulcers, or significant bony deformities caused by arthritis or osteomyelitis)
As such, custom-made shoes are considered medical devices and require appropriate information to be prescribed. A biomechanical assessment performed only by a chiropodist or podiatrist is needed. The prescription for custom-made footwear can be provided by the same chiropodist or podiatrist, or by a medical doctor.
Premier clinics have chiropodists and other staff trained to cast, measure, order and fit custom-made footwear.